Dr. Joaquín Navarro-Valls
Following his studies at the “Deutsche Schule”, he then studied Medicine at the Universities of Granada and Barcellona, and journalism at the Faculty of Sciences of Communication, University of Navarra. He also received an “International Seminar” scholarship from Harvard University, U.S.A.
Graduated “summa cum laude” in Medicine and Surgery in 1961 and took courses for a doctorate in Psychiatry in “Trastornos psiquiátricos en los traumas craneales”. In addition, he taught at the Faculty of Medicine. In 1968, received a degree in Journalism and in Sciences of Communication in 1980.
Founding member and Vice-Director of the journal DIAGONAL (1964). Was Foreign Correspondent for NUESTRO TIEMPO. From 1977 to 1984, he was Foreign Correspondent for the daily newspaper of Madrid ABC covering Italy and the Eastern Mediterranean (Egypt, Greece, Israel, Algiers, Turkey), and Special Envoy to equatorial Africa, Japan, and the Philippines.
Member of the Board of Directors (1979) and then elected President of the Foreign Press Association in Italy (1983 and 1984).
Since 1984 until 2006 has been Director of the Holy See Press Office.
From 1996 until 2001, he also served as President of the Administration Board of the “Maruzza Lefebvre d’Ovidio” Foundation for terminally ill cancer patients.
Member of the Holy See Delegation to the international conferences of the United Nations in Cairo (1994), Copenhagen (1995), Beijing (1995) and Istanbul (1996).
Participated in national and international conferences on Psychiatry as speaker and in many conferences on Journalism and the Technique of Communication.
Since 1996 is a visiting professor at the Faculty of Institutional Social Communications of the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross, Rome.
Since December 2009 has been President of the Telecom Italia Foundation
Since January 2007 is President of the Advisory Board, University Campus Bio-Medico of Rome, Italy.
- Honorary Doctorate in Sciences of Communication, Valencia, Spain, 2005;
- Honorary Doctorate in Sciences of Communication, Naples, Italy, 2006;
- Honorary Doctorate in Sciences of Communication, Varese, Italy, 2006;
- Honorary Doctorate in Law, Murcia, Spain, 2006;
- Honorary Doctorate in Humane Letters, Virginia, USA, 2007;
- Honorary Doctorate in Sciences of Communication, Barcelona, 2009;
- Honorary Doctorate in Science, New York, 2010;
- Honorary Doctorate in Sciences of Communication, Santiago, Chile 2012;
- La manipulación publicitaria (una antropología del consumo), Ed. Dopesa, Barcelona 1970;
- La familia y el mundo actual, Institución Familiar de Educación, Barcelona 1976;
- La familia y la educación, AYSE, Caracas 1978;
- Fumata Blanca. Pablo VI. Juan Pablo I, Juan Pablo II, Rialp. Bolsillo, Madrid 1978;
- A passo d’uomo: ricordi, incontri e riflessioni tra storia e attualità, Mondadori, Milano 2009;
- Recuerdos y reflexiones / Memories and Reflection, Random House Mondadori, Madrid 2010;
- La passion de l’homme: Souvenirs, rencontres et réflexions entre histoire et actualité, Parole et Silence, Paris 2010;
- Rzecznik Krok w krok za Janem Pawlem II, Fronda, Warszawa 2011;
- Begegnungen und Dankbarkeit, Aachen Mm Verlag, Gebunden 2011.
Illustrious honorary awards:
- Silver Grand Cross for Merit, Austria, 1987;
- Commander, Order of the Pole Star, Sweden, 1992;
- Grand Officer, Order of Bernardo O’Higgins of the Republic of Chile, 1993;
- Grand Officer, Order of Merit of the Republic of Italy, 1993;
- Grand Cross of the National Order of Merit, Paraguay, 1995;
- Grand Cross of the Order of Civil Merit, Spain, 1997;
- Grand Officer of the Order of St. Martin, Liberator, Argentina, 1997;
- Grand Cross Knight of the Order of St. Gregory the Great, Vatican City, 2003;
- Grand Cross of Isabel the Catholic, Spain, 2003;
- Cross with Star, Order of M
- C. Peña Prize for Medicine, 1962;
- Leader of Opinion International Prize for Journalism, 1980;
- Gargano Prize, 1984;
- Calabria Prize for Foreign Journalism, 1984;
- Laurel 1985 Prize, Murcia Press Association, 1985;
- Ischia International Prize for Journalism, 1985;
- Communicator of the Year, Telecom Italia Award, Italy, 1997;
- Maia International Award of Journalism, Italy, 1999;
- Award Gran Crisol 2000, Spain, 2000;
- Golden Pen Award, Italy, 2005;
- St. Vincent Prize of Journalism Award, Italy, 2005;
- Ernest Hemingway European Award, Italy, 2005;
- Barocco Award, Italy, 2005;
- Val di Sole Award, Italy, 2005;
- Liberal Prize for Career Award, Italy, 2005;
- Capri San Michele Award for Journalism, Italy, 2005;
- Giuseppe Sciacca International Award Special Jury, Communications Section, Italy, 2005;
- Luka Brajnovic Award, Spain, 2005;
- Giorgio La Pira International Award for Peace, Culture and Solidarity, Italy, 2005;
- Capo Circeo Prize, Association of German-Italian Friendship, Italy, 2005;
- UCSI Prize for Communications, Italy, 2005;
- Premio Sirmione Catullo alla Carriera, Italy, 2006.
- Premio Estense “Uno stile nell’informazione”, Ferrara 2010.
- Dictionary of International Biography;
- Who’s Who in Spain;
- Who’s Who in the World;
- The Who’s Who Institute.